Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Woah...that was ROUGH!!!

So, yesterday Tami and I finally made our adventurous trip to the Offray Ribbon outlet. Yes, we drove 1 1/2 hours to go buy some ribbon! But, the prices are unbelievable and so it's totally worth it...I mean, you get 100 yards for like $5-$10, instead of 5 yards for $2. The whole trip up there with Carson and Bryn was GREAT!! Bryn slept and Carson looked out the window and played with toys. I talked to my mom on the phone most of the trip and even commented to her how Carson is "generally a really good kid" and "pretty well behaved". Wow...did I speak TOO soon!!!!! Our trip to the ribbon factory and then McDonalds was the WORST outting EVER for my sweet boy Carson!!! So, at the ribbon store, the employee told Tami that there was no food allowed in the store, so we had to put our fruit snacks and treats away for the boys (first problem). So, then the boys wanted out of their strollers and started playing with some holiday gift wrap ribbon (something that they really couldn't hurt). Well, the same grouchy old lady came over and said "these are not toys" (which I agree and don't usually let my child terrorize a store, but they really weren't being too bad)....so, we put the boys back in their strollers which started a fit from both of them. Then Bryn started up...so Carson is SCREAMING and Bryn fussing and all *&^*&^ breacking loose. Anyway, after checking out we left the store and thought....wow, that was really rough! It was pretty bad, but I guess I was pushing my luck since both Bryn and Carson were perfect angels for TWO hours last week at Joanns. So, we thought since we tortured the boys with a ribbon store, that we would let them play together for a while at Mcdonalds play place. So after we ate, they went to play while Tami and I got to talk. After about 20 mins, Carson got upset about some girls he was playing with were leaving. He really likes girls and loves to make new little girlfriends. So, he started crying/screaming about that. Then he saw another girl with a McD TOY and he realized he didn't get one and started screaming "I want an Old McDonald toy!!!". I was feeding Bryn and could only do so much to discipline him (besides the grab the face and talk stearnly directly in to his ear). Well, he had a MAJOR meltdown and started screaming and screaming and SCREAMING!!! After about 10 mins, we finally left with Carson literally screaming the whole way out. He was holding onto the door jam to stay there and get his "Old McDonald Toy". Then he fell, then he screamed some more and more and more! I basically just dragged him to the van...with a bulky carseat in the other arm! It was pretty embarassing and I felt like one of "those moms". I don't know what that means, but I'm sure I just looked pathetic. I'm not as much worried about what I looked like, but what I need to do to teach my kid not to be a brat! I refuse to yell in public (or really anywhere for that matter) and so once we were on our way back home he got a very stearn talking to about how "mommy can't take you anywhere if you behave naughty and...that is unacceptable behavior and....I'm very sad that you were not nice and screaming and....I know you are a nice boy and I love you....blah, blah, blah". But, I just don't know if I got through to him. I know it will take lots of repitition, but I want to make sure that he learns from this. I feel like I discipline my kid pretty well...I'm not super layed back, but not super strict. But, I just feel like he is getting a little bratty. On the other hand, he can be a sweetheart and so polite a lot of the time. Does anyone out there have any advise about disciplining a 2 1/2 year old??????

***And in case you were wondering...yes, we did buy LOTS of ribbon!!!!

7 comments:

Crystal said...

seth still acts the same way. and he's almost 6 yrs old! i think part of it is personality. sometimes our sweetest children can give us the biggest run for our money. having said that, the only thing we can do is to be consistent with how we are disciplining them. it's hard because we know they're so smart, so we expect so much, but they are still just little kids. good luck! but, yeah for lots of ribbon!!!

GFP said...

I wasn't going to name names, but since Crystal already did.......It's CRYSTAL who holds on to the door and flops on the floor and cries when she doesn't get her Mickey D's toy. They really have to stop giving out toys or I can't take her anywhere! :-)

I've had my kids get the stern talking to, and then just smile and say "Daddy....today..blah blah blah..." and have a big smile as if to say "huh, did you say something dad?"

kids, gotta love 'em. no, really, you GOTTA love 'em, or else it's too tough!

I'd like to give a shout out to my kids, just so they know i still care. McKee, Big Zill, Brooke Star, and Big Tiny!

Kristine said...

With an almost 4 year old I know your pain. It isn't really the terrible two's it is the trememndous threes. I have been there many times with a screaming toddler and don't know how to get him to calm down.

Any how, Curtis also calls McDonald's Old McDonald's. Very cute. And I am glad you were able to get some cheaper ribbon.

Mary said...

I so feel your pain. I'm pretty sure that parents with even the easiest kids have moments like that. Carson is a great kid! But he's also a toddler and they sure have minds of their own!

Ken said...

I'm sure glad MY kid isn't gonna act that way!

Ken

Sara said...

I think you just described my Mason ;).

Sorry you had do deal with. I've sooo been there. Still there actually.

janeen said...

I think every mom goes through this, atleast I hope they do, since I had too. Kids are kids and unfortunatly that means sometime they throw the biggest fits that leave you embarassed and stressed for answers on how to make sure it never happpens again. I will say, it gets easier, the fits settle down, and as they get oldere bribery is a miraclous thing. Good luck getting threw it!