Okay, I've been thinking about this for a long time, but please don't take this the wrong way. I'm soooo sick of church meetings!!! I'm the Young Women's president and Dan is the seminary teacher, and it seems like between the two of us, there is always something to do...always!! I had a bit of a meltdown a week or so ago and was a little mad at the whole thing. I've cooled off since then, but I'm still disturbed by how many meetings there are to go to. Last week I had to go to church Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights. I skipped out on Wednesday (just because i wanted family time) and so I just had to go two nights. That's not that bad. Our cars go to the church like a hundred times a week! But it seems like there are always meetings. Last month Dan had a 4 1/2 hour meeting on a Saturday and then I had a 4 hour activity on a different Saturday. Combine that with my work schedule and we never get to see each other. Okay, I know, I know, I'm totally complaining. But, I had nothing else to blog, and this is what's on my mind lately, sorry. So, many weeks, with meetings and then me working at night, I never get to see my family. Dan puts Carson to bed at least half the time, if not more. He's great with Carson and doesn't complain, but that just means that I don't get to see my family. Plus Dan has lessons for seminary to prepare every night too and he needs to go to bed early so he can wake up at 4:30. So, there is a lot of stress on the family. There are many days when I get to see Dan for 1, maybe 2 hours in the whole day....that stinks! So, that's what brings me to the question, what is more important...church or family? I am of course, very religious and know that church is everything in our lives, but isn't there a point when there are just too many meetings? Okay, I said it, now I'll be quiet, I just had to get that out. Sorry about venting on my blog :)
This flashback doesn't go back too far. This is a picture of Carson petting a lamb at the county fair this past summer. He really loves animals! On a different note, my friend, Mary, watched Carson today for a little while and she said that he did great! I was so pleased b/c he has some serious separation anxiety. She has a 2 year old and a 6 month old and she said that Carson and her 2 year old had fun playing together. She said Carson cried for about 5 minutes and then was pretty good the rest of the time...yeah!! Nursery must be helping his separation anxiety...i'm so happy! Thanks again Mary!!!
On wednesday, we went to the Washington D.C. Auto Show. It was held at the DC convention center and they have TONS of cars! We went a few years ago and had fun looking at all the cars, so we decided to go again this year. Dan's jeep is dying, so we thought it would be nice to check out a few cars...just in case we'll be buying one sometime soon. So, the auto show has tons of cars and you can go and check them out, sit in them, whatever! It's really fun b/c you can sit in all sorts of cars and see which you like best. Carson really liked sitting in all the cars and climbing all around. Our favorite car was the Nissan Quest minivan, it was really nice. Maybe someday we'll have one of those :) The biggest attraction was the "Jeep Camp". They had set up this HUGE course to show how cool jeeps are. They were taking people on rides to show all the neat things a jeep can do. So, they climbed over logs, went trough water, up huge slopes...it was pretty crazy! Of course, Dan had to go, so he waited in line and Carson and I watched him go through the course in the Jeep. Dan LOVES jeeps!! It was a lot of fun, especially because we were together as a family....that's not so common lately.
This is Carson playing with his new "tools" given to us by one of my co-workers. the other picture is of Carson pushing the button on the truck to make some noise...he loves pushing buttons! Notice his little gloves...he's so silly.
As some of you already know, I've been trying to figure out how to discipline a 19 month old. I like the traditional "time out" method, but up until a few weeks ago, I just didn't know how it would work. I tried and ended up putting him back on the step like 20 times. But I've been using it this week and it is actually kinda working. I usually sit him on the step, tell him why he is there, then leave him for a minute. When I go back I tell him again why he was there, then tell him I love him and ask him for a hug. The last few times (not that there are a lot, maybe a few a week), he actually sits on the step till I go back and get him...it's so cute! Well, today I put him in time out and when I came back, I was going to tell him again why he was there and ask for a hug. Well, before I could tell him why he was there, he stood up on the step and gave me a big hug....it was really cute! I guess he knows what comes next. It's crazy how much these kids know and remember. It was really cute!!! Carson is really becoming so much more fun and interactive. He likes to point out lots of pictures in books when we ask him where they are, and he LOVES any kind of ball, and music, and animals, and.......I think his vocabulary is really growing, although we still don't understand most of what he says. He is a really active, but sweet little boy. I love you Carson!!
I just had to show you this picture. I wasn't thinking when I was loading the dishwasher the other day and I put the top of our drink pitcher on the bottom of the dishwasher. This is one of those cool pitchers that stirs the drink with the stick/wand thingie. Well, when I went to unload the dishes when they were done, this is what I found........OOPS!
Almost exactly three years ago, Dan took me to a Bed & Breakfast in the Shenandoah's. It was a lot of fun and we also went to see some of the "caverns" down there. Some of you may know the cave story...this is where it happened. If you don't know the story...don't ask. If you do...don't tell.
This post is especially for my mom! She is great! She NEVER checks my blog but promised me she would today, so I thought I would write something for her. I can't believe she doesn't care about my life, but she blaims it on the crusty computer :) It's true though, the computer they had took FOREVER to download anything and was a real frustrating computer. But, now they have a new one, so hopefully she will be able to check this out more often. So, mom...welcome to my blog! Thanks for checking it out! It was nice talking to you today and you are the best mom ever! I hope you have a wonderful evening!!! Love you!
So, I've started watching my friend's baby. She is three months old and I watch her 2-3 times a week. So far she has been a really "easy" baby. She loves to be in the swing and is a really calm baby. So far she has been really easy to take care of. The part I'm wondering how people do, is going places with two small kids. I went visiting teaching (visited 2 women from church) with both kids yesterday and it was a workout! Both of the kids were really good, but I just don't know how you carry a carseat with a baby AND help a little toddler. It was really a workout! I guess that's why people space their kids out a little more. This will be my test to see if we really want another kid....j/k. Carson really likes the baby and always says "baby?" when he sees her and also likes to "tickle" her. It is really cute. He doesn't seem jealous of the baby and she realy hasn't affected Carson's schedule, which is nice. So, now I just got to get better at going places with two kids...what a challenge! I give props out to all those mothers that have more than one kid....you go!
For all of you that know Carson, you know that he is not exactly the most graceful kid. He is full of energy and is pretty clumsy too. He loves to run around and go crazy, but he does fall down a lot. He usually just gets right back up and keeps on going, with only bruises and small scratches to show for it. Well, yesterday Dan and Carson went outside to kick the ball around and within a few minutes I heard some loud screaming. Dan brought Carson in and on top of his little nose and his forehead were bleeding a little. He had tripped over the ball and landed on his face. I know, it really wasn't THAT bad, but it was the first time I've seen him bleed...poor little guy. I'm sure there may be worse to come, since he's a boy and all, but now my poor baby looks all beat up! He calmed down after a few minutes, but now has this to show for it......
My friend Debbie did this post and I thought it was a fun idea. Some of these things you probably already know about me, but hopefully some will be a surprise.
1. I got married in the Palmyra temple.
2. I've been married for 3 years to an awesome guy named DAN! 3. I have a son named Carson, who is 19 months old. 4. Carson is the middle name of one of Dan's grandpa's and is a last name further back in that same family line. 5. I don't have a middle name, besides my maiden name which is Simmons. 6. My nickname from my family and friends when I was really young was 'Spaghetti Head' b/c of this picture my dad took.
7. Other nicknames I had were Nette, Netters, NutterButter, and Chemo. 8. Fortunately I didn't have the nickname Chemo b/c I was being treated for some kind of cancer, but b/c I shaved the bottom half of my head when I was in middle school and that's what my brother called me afterwards. 9. I went to Guatemala for a nursing program in college and was able to learn in the hospital and small clinics there...it was awesome! 10. I got stiches in my chin/bottom lip from when I fell off the monkey bars when I was 2. 11. I use to have a gap inbetween my front two teeth but got it filled in a few years ago. 12. My mom had her appendix taken out when she was 5 months pregnant with me. 13. I got Lasik eye surgery this year and absolutely love it! 14. I love to dance and took dance lessons for 10 years growing up. 15. I was MVP on my high school volleyball team. 16. I'm a nurse. 17. I worked at George Washington University Hospital in the ER right out of nursing school. 18. I've taken care of hundreds of people and seen many crazy things, including births and deaths. 19. I now work at Patient First, a free standing urgent care center. 20. I helped deliver a baby at Patient First...that is NEVER suppose to happen. 21. I sang in lots of choirs in high school and still love to sing all the time! 22. Dan and I went to Niagara Falls for our Honeymoon and loved it. We even went over the falls in a barrel (well atleast we did that in a simulator ride).
23. I hate speedbumps 24. I love being a mom, except I haven't figured out the whole disciplining thing...any suggestions? 25. I've donated hair to Locks of Love before.
26. I was 9 day's overdue with Carson. 27. I can't roll my tounge. 28. I played the clarinet, oboe, and english horn in high school...I wish I could still play them now. 29. I don't like to be super hot...I usually would rather be on the chilly side. 30. I love checking my email. 31. I don't think I should have zits when I'm 27, but I still do...blah! 32. I've done CPR before (in the hospital) and hope never to have to do it outside the hospital. 33. I took piano lessons for a few months when I was little and wish I hadn't quit. I still like to play now, but really wish I was better. 34. I am so blessed to have the family that I do...all of you! 35. I love my friends. 36. I think "Mormon-Ads" are hilarious...and very creative.
37. I had tons of "Mormon-Ads" stuck to my closet doors when I was in high school. 38. I was in the Mormon Youth Chorus when I lived in Utah. 39. My parents bought me a sewing machine for my birthday two years ago and ever since I've been sewing like crazy...I absolutely LOVE TO SEW! 40. I was given the "Most outstanding Instrumentalist of the Year" award in High school for playing the oboe. 41. I've always been jealous of my sisters singing voice and would never sing in front of my family b/c of it. I'm still a little jealous...she has an amazing voice! 42. I had a crush on my band teacher and my english teacher in high school. 43. I use to hate going to fabric stores with my mom and now I LOVE fabric!!! 44. Dan says I have "Automotive Narcolepsy" b/c I ALWAYS fall asleep in the car. 45. I loved being pregnant.
46. I don't really enjoy reading novels....or many books for that matter. 47. I left to go to BYU on the same day I graduated from high school...and I still missed the first week of summer classes. 48. I love the greenery and the trees in the East. 49. I pushed 3 1/2 hours during labor with Carson and they eventually had to deliver him with forceps.
50. I hate laundry and never can get the last loads folded before there is already more loads to do. 51. I think my parents are the greatest parents ever! 52. I'm not very good at English and Dan likes to point that out often (b/c I make lots of mistakes with my writing and speach). 53. I wish my house was always clean; I try my best to keep it clean. 54. I accepted my job in DC on September 11th, 2001. 55. I am the youngest of four kids...my oldest brother Ken, then Mike, then my sister Katherine.
56. I loved Human Anatomy class and would study the cadavers all the time. 57. When I look at clothing (especially baby clothes) I try to figure out how they made it and secretly think to myself "I could make that". 58. I saw Milli Vanilli in concert and have seen lots of other concerts since. 59. I love broadway musicals. 60. I love my little man, but I do hope some day to have a little girl too. 61. I'm the Young Women's president in my church right now. 62. I loved watching Kelly Clarkson on the first season of American Idol. 63. I've had 3 boyfriends, one being my husband :) 64. When I was younger I wanted to be either a Veterinarian or a Coronor. 65. I LOVED my BYU experience and would go back there in a second! 66. I'm frugal. 67. I would be completely lost in life without my religion. 68. I love the internet. 69. Dan and Carson make me happy.
70. I loved High School! 71. I love to quilt and have made several quilts.
72. I'm a people pleaser. 73. I would rather sing a solo than give a talk. 74. I really don't like when people ask me medical advise b/c they don't understand that I don't really remember EVERYTHING from nursing school and that usually you need some diagnostic testing to really make diagnosis....ahh, sorry I could go on forever about that one. 75. Even though I don't like when people ask me medical questions, I do always try to be nice and helpful anyway :) 76. I love bread, rolls....carbs! 77. I never had braces. 78. I want so badly to be a good mom. 79. I grew up in a suburb outside of Rochester, NY called Greece. I lived in the same bedroom from birth until I went to college. 80. I'm terrible at reading my scriptures...I just don't understand them. 81. I hate call waiting. 82. I like to blog. 83. I like the show "ER". And yes those things really do happen. 84. I love ColdStone "Cake Batter" flavored icecream. 85. I don't think I've ever eaten any candy that I don't like. 86. I hope that I will always be a good mother and friend to my children (just like my mom!) 87. I bite my fingernails, but not really short. 88. I was voted "most likely to become faculty at BYU" from my nursing class. I really did LOVE BYU!!! 89. The palms of my hands itch when I get really cold. 90. I like to scrapbook. 91. I have great in-laws. 92. I like going to the mall to just walk around and look at stuff. 93. Dan and I go on "dates" to Wegmans for lunch/dinner. 94. I consider myself pretty laid back. 95. I have always admired my mom and dad. 96. I started a club at BYU against pornography and it is still going today. 97. I hate aggressive drivers. 98. I am totally afraid of hitting a deer when I'm driving. 99. I love rollercoasters. 100. I am happy.
Do we have anything in common? What are 100 things about you?
The bishop asked the rest of the bishopric, the YM presidency, and the YW presidency to attend early morning seminary to "support" the youth. We only have to send someone from our presidency once a month, so I guess it's not all that bad. Well, we started it this month and I was the first to go. I didn't really have many options for what I could do with Carson (because Dan is the seminary teacher), so we snatched Carson out of his cozy bed at 5:10am (seminary started at 5:30am) and off we went to seminary. Carson wasn't too sure what to think of this, but was very well behaved. Even during seminary, Carson was surprisingly awake (since he usually wakes up at 9am or so) and he was very entertaining. Maybe the word "distracting" is more accurate. Carson was really good, but he kept wanting to sit with his daddy in front of the class. So, he would go sit with him and then make cute little squinty faces and blinking eyes at everyone. He was being really cute, but just a little distracting. I'm sure the youth didn't mind him there though. So, the class was good and Dan is a fun teacher. I hope the kids felt my "support". I'm off the hook for a couple months now and the rest of the presidency will have to go. I was a little worried that Carson would be awake for the day after seminary, but luckily when we got home he layed his head on my shoulder and I put him back down in his crib. Hopefully he'll sleep enough so he won't be cranky all day. He's a sweet boy for waking up so early :) So, there you have it. I have a lot of respect for those youth who wake up super early to go to seminary. I had to do the same thing, but i'm sure glad I don't have to do it anymore. You go guys!!!
Last night we had a going away party for our good friends, the Pugmires. We have been friends with them since we moved into this ward and have hadfuntimes with them. They are some of our closest friends and we really will miss them! Well, we'll miss seeing them all the time, that is. They are actually just moving about 1 1/2 hours away to Virginia, so we can still visit them. Dan and Scott get along really well and Tami and me love hanging out! Our little boys, Kyle and Carson (their only 3 weeks apart), have fun together too. Yesterday the two of them were just giggling and playing together, it was so cute! We really will miss them, but we are super excited for their new adventures. Congratulations on your new house and we'll miss you PUGS!
Congratulations to my brother Mike and his wife, Crystal for having their 4th baby! They didn't know what they were having this time and were surprised with another baby boy! That makes a family of three boys and one girl. Tyler Edward Simmons was born on 1/5/07 and weighed a whopping 9lbs 11oz...good job Crystal! Everyone is doing great. Congratulations to their family!
This is a picture of my Grandma and Grandpa Simmons when they were on their mission in Jamaica. I'm not sure when this was taken, but I would guess sometime in the 80's. My grandpa passed away about 10 years ago and my grandma is still living in Provo in the "white house". My grandparents are amazing people with so much knowledge and talents. My grandma still drives and maintains the most amazing vegetable garden. They both are role models for me, I love you guys!
I've been wanting to blog lately, but I haven't known what to talk about. Life is good, but nothing too exciting is going on with us. We enjoyed a nice long weekend together as a family. I had to work a little over the weekend, but Dan had off monday and tuesday (not to mention that he took off thursday too). It was so fun having lots of time together. Yesterday we went down to visit some friends in VA. We had a blast going to Generous Georges for lunch and later to get frozen custard..yum! We went out to lunch with Ashley and Ryan and then went down to visit Jimmie and Hannah and their baby Christian. Christian is now 4 months old and he is super cute! It was fun seeing them and catching up for a while.
So, Carson is copying everything we say and do lately. He doesn't talk super well but he tries to copy our sounds and intonations. He also copies our actions, so we need to watch what we do! I was telling Dan that I don't think he should watch some "mature" shows while Carson is around...like CSI. I didn't want Carson mimicking the bad stuff, like shooting guns. So, as Dan and I were talking about it, I pretended to shoot a gun and Carson immediately imitated me! Ahhhh, that's exactly what I didn't want him to do. So, I taught my own kid to "shoot". I don't think he knows what he was doing, but he just copies everything! He is really cute. He is also trying really hard to say more words and today he pointed to his bum and said something that sounded like "I Poo". Well, sure enough, he was stinky! He is getting so big and smart!
Well, I really should go clean the house. Happy New Year!!!