Monday, January 22, 2007

Time Out!



This is Carson playing with his new "tools" given to us by one of my co-workers. the other picture is of Carson pushing the button on the truck to make some noise...he loves pushing buttons! Notice his little gloves...he's so silly.




As some of you already know, I've been trying to figure out how to discipline a 19 month old. I like the traditional "time out" method, but up until a few weeks ago, I just didn't know how it would work. I tried and ended up putting him back on the step like 20 times. But I've been using it this week and it is actually kinda working. I usually sit him on the step, tell him why he is there, then leave him for a minute. When I go back I tell him again why he was there, then tell him I love him and ask him for a hug. The last few times (not that there are a lot, maybe a few a week), he actually sits on the step till I go back and get him...it's so cute! Well, today I put him in time out and when I came back, I was going to tell him again why he was there and ask for a hug. Well, before I could tell him why he was there, he stood up on the step and gave me a big hug....it was really cute! I guess he knows what comes next. It's crazy how much these kids know and remember. It was really cute!!! Carson is really becoming so much more fun and interactive. He likes to point out lots of pictures in books when we ask him where they are, and he LOVES any kind of ball, and music, and animals, and.......I think his vocabulary is really growing, although we still don't understand most of what he says. He is a really active, but sweet little boy. I love you Carson!!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

That's a great time-out story! I love the picture of him with the toy chain-saw - he's even wearing toy goggles! Cute!!

Anonymous said...

You need to let me know your secret for getting Carson to stay in time out. Curtis would never stay put. We still use his crib as his time out area.