Tuesday, August 12, 2008

TREK

I just got back from being the nurse at our church's stake TREK. TREK is where the youth 14-18 dress up like pioneers and pull handcarts and do pioneer-y things for 4 days. Luckily for me, there were no serious illnesses or injuries. Some nausea, headaches, ankle sprains, cuts, lots of blisters, etc. Here is my TREK experience in numbers:

-40 youth dressed like pioneers
-4 handcarts
-1 day of nothing but walking and pulling handcarts
-12+ hours of walking with handcarts, LOTS of that being uphill
-1 stream to cross
-1 leg run over by the handcart
-1 kid run over by the handcart
-1 women's pull
-4 days of really nice weather (besides a little rain)
-2 rainstorms
-2 salamanders seen
-1 deer skull
-2 bats
-2534 bugs seen
-1 time peeing in the woods
-2 portapotties
-50 sleeping bags under the stars
-1 bread TOTALLY burnt
-1 hole burnt in 1 ma's skirt
-1 handcart canvas ripped and unusable
-5 campfires roaring
-1 really funny, yet spiritual testimony meeting
-1 hoe-down
-4 chickens killed
-4 pots of nasty corn-mush for breakfast
-4 fires trying to cook leftover corn-mush patties for lunch
-40 starving youth
-1 really neat sacrament meeting
-15+ dedicated adult leaders
-50+ people who REEKED by the end of the 4 days
-1 YW leader who did not want to go, glad that she did go, but never wants to go again :)

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow, what an experience:) I am glad there were no major injuries.

The Pugs said...

I am SO glad that you made it home safely. I can't wait to call and see how you are. - Tami

Mary said...

It sounds like everything went well. Yay! Fun pictures too :)

GFP said...

I don't get why kids are subjected to this, but i guess most have fun. glad it's not me!

Ken said...

Well, it's sounds like it turned out to be a good experience, despite the understandable hesitation leading up to the exodus.

I imagine it gives you a little better flavor for the types of things our forefathers and foremothers endured.

Nancy said...

Lynette,
Sounds like you had a successful Trek. Where did you do it?
We have a friend who did the big one in'97 from Missouri to Salt Lake City. He wore out many pairs of shoes but it was an experience that changed his life!
Fun reading your blogs.
.....Nancy (Dan's aunt)
nancypal44.blogspot.com

the design boss said...

I am so glad that it was you and not me!! You are and always have been a better women than I am! I love the picture of you sleeping, you look really...ummm...comfortable!