Friday, November 19, 2010

Phish

So, we decided to get the kids a fish tank.  We tried having fish a few years ago, but we didn't do all that great.  Carson really wanted a pet, so we thought we would try again.  After getting our tank all set up and letting the kids pick out the rocks, plants, and decorations for it, we finally got some fish to add to the tank.  We started with 4 fishies and after 2 days ended up with 2 fishies.  Yep, two of them died within the first two days!  The night Carson discovered one of the neon tetras, named Ollie, sucked up against the filter, he was devastated!  He cried for quite a long time and just couldn't seem to get over the loss of his little fish.  He's so sweet and sensitive.  He had deep questions about why Ollie had to die and where he was, etc.  I was shocked at all the questions he had and how sincerely saddened he was that the fish had died.  I felt so bad for him, I just layed in bed with him and tried to help him get through it..poor thing.  Dan and I went to bed hoping that no more fish would die, but as soon as Dan woke up the next morning, the other neon tetra, Callie, was dead too.  He quickly removed the dead fish while Carson was sleeping.  I just couldn't bare having Carson find another fish gone.  Later that day when Carson got home from school, we went to PetSmart to get a new fish.  This time we got a fish that was a little bit bigger, a beta named Skyler.  So far our three remaining fish, Black Fin, Bone, and Skyler are doing great.  Here's to hoping we can keep them alive!

5 comments:

Mary said...

RIP Ollie :)

Carson is one cute boy!

Roxie said...

Poor Carson! Ken keeps saying he wants to get a fish for Jake. I told him as long as he agrees to clean the tank and feed it, I have no problem with it....=]

Doulabug said...

Awww, I feel his pain. I lost a fish once too, except my mother flushed him down the toilet. She claimed he jumped. Imagine!

Ange said...

Very cute! What a tender heart he has! But that's the reason I think pets are good. Good to learn those hard life and death lessons on small pets like fish first.

Melanni said...

All fish die in our family...don't feel bad!