Monday, May 21, 2007

That's what friends are for

Carson has been learning to play with other kids lately. He still doesn't totally understand how to play together with his little friends, but he's a lot more interested in them. We have a great nursery program at church and he loves all his little friends there. One girl in particular, Lindsey, he especially likes. Lindsey's mom, Mary, and I are good friends and enjoy taking our kids to the park together. This morning Carson actually brought the phone to me and said "Windsey?". I guess he wanted to call Lindsey, so I called Mary and we decided to meet at the park later. Lindsey is about 8 months older than Carson, so she can talk better and do some more advanced things at the playground. Sometimes Carson gets frustrated that she can climb certain things that he can't, but he still loves playing with her. And Lindsey is just so cute with Carson. So, here is the real reason for this post. This was just so cute. While we were at the park today, Carson started getting really cranky while on the swings. I couldn't figure out why he was whining and crying and I got a little frustrated, so I put him in time out on a step on the playground. He started screaming and crying SOO loud. It was a little embarrassing, but luckily it was just Mary and I with our kids. So, while Carson was screaming, Lindsey came over and said "I want to go in time out too". Mary and I thought that was really cute and told her that Carson was in time out. But she went over and worked her magic! Carson scooted right over on the step for her to sit next to him and within seconds she had tamed the beast! He was giggling, kicking his feet, and having a good old time....literally seconds after she went over. I don't know how she did it, but it was just so cute! I was very impressed with Lindsey's ability to calm Carson down...maybe I always need her around...thanks little Lindsey!

7 comments:

Mendy said...

Sometimes it just feels good to step back and let the reinforcements come in, doesn't it? What a sweet friend Mary must be.

Crystal said...

Carson is a ladies man apparently! :) He's so cute. It's frustrating when they don't communicate as well as we want them to. I think kids can understand each other sometimes, even when we can't!

Unknown said...

That is really cute. Abbey and Zack are the same way with each other. If one is in trouble the other wants to comfort and help them feel better. Maybe Carson is getting ready to have a little girl in the house. :)

Jenni said...

Going for the older woman hu?!! :) How sweet!! Ben has a little friend, Sarah, who is the same way with him - he's always in a better mood when she's around!! :)

Debbie said...

that is so cute! i need a little lindsey around here some days:) can i borrow her?

Nettie! said...

That is an adorable story!

Mary said...

That really was so cute to see and hilarious when Lindsey asked to go on time out too! Lindsey just loves Carson. It's funny to see them laughing and being silly together - even if Lindsey insists on taking toys from Carson, poor kid! I posted a couple of pictures from them today on my blog.