Sunday, December 10, 2006

Little Man Goes to Nursery!

Today was Carson's first day in nursery...can you believe he's already 18 months!!! My little man is just growing up. Nursery didn't go exactly as planned, but it went better than I thought it would. Carson definitely has separation issues lately and so I have been really nervous about him going in to nursery (more for the poor nursery workers than him). So, we decided that we would just tell him "we'll see you in a little bit, go play" and let him tough it out without us hanging around. My friend Tami was in nursery and Carson knows her well, so she held him the whole time...thanks Tami! Once he was in there, I was glued to the little peephole they made in one of the windows. My little man was doing pretty good. He wasn't screaming or crying, but just playing with toys while one Tami's lap. Sometimes he would start crying, then stop, it was pretty sad. I didn't realize how emotional it would be and at one point when I saw him just start crying, i got a little teary-eyed myself. Then my friends Rebecca and Gwyn had to pull me away from the peep-hole so I didn't get sad watching him :) Shortly after that, Tami came out with Carson and he was crying and all wet. Tami said that she didn't have to or want to leave nursery but Carson was soaking. His diaper had leaked all over...aghhh! So, we messed up his first day of nursery with a leaky diaper. After we changed him, Dan went back in to nursery with him for the second hour. He did good then and played with toys and had snack time. Hopefully next week it will go a little better. I just can't believe he's already in nursery! What's next....college??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think almost all kids have separation problems at 18 months. Curtis was ready to go to Nursery at about 15 months but by the time he was old enough to go he was clingy. It took some time but now he begs to go there all week long. I think the key is really good nursery leaders and time and patience. He is going to love it in there. I can't believe Carson is already 18 months old. It seems like you just sent out the email saying you had him. Crazy!
Kristine

Mary said...

Yeah for Carson! That's such a fun milestone, and scary too! I'm glad he went in there at least for a little while without you guys. That's a really big step. He'll get used to it and just love it. Too bad about the leaky diaper!

Just make sure you really wash his hands well after being in there. Lindsey caught that nasty bug that swept through the ward last week and I am sure it came through nursery. Maybe next week she'll be well and she can show Carson how fun it is to be a big kid in nursery :)

Mary

Mary said...

P.S. That peep-hole is too high for me, I can barely see through it on my tip-toes, but Lindsey catches me every time I look through the other window. Dang!

Jenni said...

Nusery is such a wonderful thing - those nursery workers are saints! I hope that next week will be leaky diaper free for you guys :)!

~ Amy said...

So...the little man and his parents have a blog! I have enjoyed the posts. I will add you to my list!