Wednesday, July 18, 2007

We're still alive...barely!

We're still hanging in here in Wisconsin! We have one week left and we're trying to pack all sorts of fun things in to it. Today my sister and I were able to go shopping while my mom stayed home with the kids. My sister got some much needed clothes and it was a successful trip. It was also really nice to get away from the kids. Tomorrow we plan on going to the Children's museum in Milwaukee. Katherine says it's really fun and Gwen loves it, so we're excited to go! Other than our few trips to the mall and grocery stores, we're just hanging out at home. It has been a little (okay, a LOT) tiring thinking of things to entertain the kids with and keeping them from fighting over toys. why is it that one kid always wants what the other kid has?? For the most part they get along well. Carson has been pretty difficult here though. I guess I could make excuses for him...like we're off our usual schedule, he's away from home, missing his daddy, etc....but, i was hoping that he would be better than this. His sleeping is pretty good and he stopped crying when i put him down after the first day. He doesn't sleep as long as at home, but hopefully he'll go back to that when we go back home. The thing that bugs me the most is that he is so whiny here. He is having a really hard time just being normal without whining every 5 minutes. It's getting on my nerves and I don't quite know how to put a stop to the whining....any suggestions?? He is also learning first hand how to share all the time and get along with his cousin (Gwen is 3). They are doing pretty well though and a lot of the time are running around the house copying each other and happily squeeling. Sometimes I wonder though is this a vacation or a workout? I'm really enjoying my time with my sister and my mom though. It's been nice to help my sister out a little with her baby and to have some time here and there to just talk. My sister is amazing and is doing a great job with her challenging baby! I think only a rare few could be as patient and loving as she is...I really mean that! So, anyway, I'm having a great time here and have been thankful for my chance to come visit.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Whining is a hard battle. Unfortunately, I think boys whine more than girls, girls just have more attitude when they do it! :) We try to tell the kids we aren't able to hear them when they're whining and when they can use real words to try again. That works pretty well. Lately with Seth I've been telling him "I love when you whine Seth, it makes me so happy." and that makes him mad and he understands that I'm being sarcastic and will stop. Good luck with that though! I'm glad you're having a good time there. Say hi to Katherine for me, and give the girls and Carson kisses from Aunt Crystal.

Jenni said...

I'm so glad you're able to have this visit w/ your sister! I bet she is so happy to have you there!

Whining, whining... I think it's one of the harder things to deal with as a mommy. My 3 year old whines a lot and sometimes it works to tell him I can't understand him and to talk in big boy voice. Then I ignore the whining and if he actually says it nicely I thank him for asking with a big boy voice. Believe me it doesn't work all the time... :) Good luck!!