Monday, August 6, 2007

Potty Training




Dan and I decided to give one good effort to try to potty train Carson before the new baby comes. We weren't going to try till afterwards but when we were at my sister's house for 2 weeks, Carson was really interested in her 3 year old going potty. So, I thought we would give it a couple weeks to see how he does and if he really wants to do it now. So, we started a week ago, and so far he is doing alright. We pretty much are just letting him wear "big boy" underwear or go around the house naked (I never thought I would do that, but it makes it much easier to be "ready" to go). I tell you though, this potty training stuff is hard work! I have been in the bathroom for hours and hours a day (at least it feels like that). We read books, do puzzles, sing, play with play-dough, etc. while he's trying to go potty. After a day, he was already getting better telling us he had to go, although it sometimes was while a little drop was already coming out. But he recognizes that he is going at least. The problem is that when we do go to the potty, he just goes a little bit. Then we'll sit and sit forever, finally be done, then he says he needs to go again....and it's just a little bit again. I'm glad that he says he needs to go and actually goes a little, but how do I get him to just let it all go? I guess that will come in time. I think he is doing pretty good for only a week into it, but I think it's also a little overwhelming for him. A few times at the beginning of last week he was a little scared/overwhelmed by the whole rushing to the potty and when he actually tinkles he would get this surprised/scared look on his face. But he's doing pretty good telling us he needs to go and he's also gone #2 twice on the potty too...yeah! So, I think we'll keep sticking with it a little bit longer and see how he does...wish us luck!

11 comments:

Crystal said...

good luck! i always hate potty training. Brooke is finally trained, except overnight. i've noticed with all of my kids that one day they just get it, and you don't have to ask them or tell them to go anymore. it's really wierd how that happens.

Unknown said...

Good Luck!!! Zack was all into the potty and now he could care less. But he knows when he goes in his diaper. So I think we are getting back into the idea of going potty. But I don't have the energy to try, I will wait until he is more interested. Here is a tip that helped Abbey ---we had her drink a ton of what ever she liked. There was no way she could hold back when she had to go. Just an idea. :) Have fun.

Debbie said...

gotta love potty training. good luck!

Malinda said...

I learned that when i finally got the hang of potty training and was ookay with the fact. That was when it really hit for rockwell and he started to get it.

Anonymous said...

good luck with the Potty Training. Curtis is three and a half and still won't use the potty. He freaks if he doesn't have a diaper on at all times. We have created a monster.
I hope Carson keeps going in the potty.

Nettie! said...

Good luck! It sounds like it's going great so far. As far as him going all the time, one day he will become a camel and be able to hold it for so long and know when he needs to go himself.

Mendy said...

Wow! That's quite a task to take on before the baby comes. Good luck, Lynette.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...a blog about potty training. Isn't the internet grrrrreat!

Actually, potty training is great and saves money. Brooke you go (in the potty) girl!!!

A.Pandina said...

Wow, I can't believe he's ready for this! I remember when he was such a newborn at my wedding and now he's going to the potty! Keep up the good work!

Mary said...

Look how cute Carson is in his underwear :)

Sara said...

Wow, potty training. In some ways I wish my Mason was ready for that and would show some interest, but then I'm glad that I don't have to deal with the training yet. Good luck with everything! Sounds like you're off to a good start.